Frequently asked questions about Dealer of the Year and the Consumer Satisfaction Award
1) What is the Dealer of the Year Award?
The DealerRater Dealer of the Year Award Program was initiated in 2009 to recognize a select number of car dealerships throughout the United States and Canada for outstanding customer satisfaction as expressed through customers’ reviews posted on DealerRater.com.
DealerRater’s Dealer of the Year awards are given to car dealerships with the highest PowerScore for the calendar year in their category at either the regional, national and state/provincial levels.
2) What is the Consumer Satisfaction Award?
The DealerRater Consumer Satisfaction Award was initiated in 2015 to recognize the top reviewed dealerships on DealerRater for providing outstanding customer service and satisfaction. Consumer Satisfaction awards are given to a percentage of the top-rated dealerships on DealerRater as expressed by reviews submitted for the dealership.
3) How is the Consumer Satisfaction Award different from the Dealer of the Year Award?
The Consumer Satisfaction Awards is intended to recognize dealerships that provide an exceptional customer experience, and Consumer Satisfaction awards are given out to a percentage of the top-rated dealerships on DealerRater. There is no limit to the number of dealerships within a particular State/Province or brand that could receive a Consumer Satisfaction Award. Instead, each dealership is compared against all others on DealerRater when determining Consumer Satisfaction Award recipients.
4) What is the Regional Dealer of the Year award?
We will be introducing a Regional Award category this year which will award the dealership with the top PowerScore™, regardless of brand, in 8 geographic regions. The 8 regions that we will be awarding are: New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Midwest, Plains, Rocky Mountain, Southwest, and West. The list of states included in these regions are based on the regional breakdown used by the Bureau of Economic Analysis:
5) Who can win either Dealer of the Year or the Consumer Satisfaction Award?Any dealership which is currently listed on DealerRater.com is eligible to receive one of these awards, regardless of whether they are a DealerRater customer or not. Award recipients are determined based solely on their reviews, as calculated through a PowerScore.
6) What is a PowerScore, and how are the scores calculated?
A dealer’s PowerScore is based on its average star rating and the number of reviews they receive within the relevant calendar year. We use a Bayesian algorithm to determine an eligible dealer’s PowerScore for the year. The algorithm compares multiple statistics against a baseline average. Essentially, we compare each eligible dealer to the average of all the other eligible dealers to see where they stack up, and this gives us one number which we can use to rank the award finalists.
7) What are the criteria to be eligible for one of these dealer awards?
To qualify for either Dealer of the Year or the Consumer Satisfaction Award, a dealership must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of 25 reviews on DealerRater for the previous calendar year.
- Minimum of 1 positive review in each calendar quarter of the previous calendar year.
- An average rating greater than 4.0 (out of a maximum of 5.0) for reviews received during the previous calendar year.
- Must not have been blacklisted during the previous calendar year.
8) When are Dealer of the Year and Consumer Satisfaction Award winners announced, and how are the winners notified?
These awards are typically announced early in the year - in late January or early-to-mid February - in the award year. The 2022 awards (based on the 2021 calendar year) are scheduled to be announced on February 2, 2022. Winners will be notified by email. Additionally, at the time of the announcement, a badge will be added to the winning dealership’s profile page on DealerRater, and a banner will be added to the Dealer Panel to congratulate the winning dealership. Once the winners are announced, you can view a complete list of winners by following the links below:
9) As an award winner, what will I receive?
The perks and marketing collateral that a dealer award winner receives will vary by award category. For a Dealer of the Year winner, here’s what you’ll receive:
- A permanent Dealer of the Year banner on your Dealer Profile Page.
- High-resolution Dealer of the Year graphics are available in your Dealer Panel, to be used however you choose.
- A customizable press-release template in your Dealer Panel to help announce your award.
- Customizable social media post templates to spread the word throughout your social channels.
- Priority placement on any directory on DealerRater.com in which your dealership appears, for the duration of the year of the award.
- Collateral that you can use in your dealership to promote your win: Regional and National Brand winners will receive a trophy and window clings, while State and Province Brand winners will receive window clings only. In most cases, trophies and window clings should arrive by late February.
As a Consumer Satisfaction Award recipient, your dealership will receive the following:
- A Consumer Satisfaction Award banner on your Dealer Profile page for the duration of the year.
- High-resolution Consumer Satisfaction Award graphics are available in your Dealer Panel, to be used however you choose.
- A press-release template to help announce your award.
- Customizable social media post templates to help spread the word throughout your social channels
- The collateral you can use in your dealership to promote your award - window clings will be sent to all winners. In most cases, window clings should arrive by late February.
10) What happens if no dealership meets the minimum criteria to win a Dealer of the Year award?
If no dealership within a given state/province and brand category meet the minimum criteria for a Dealer of the Year award, then no award will be given for that category.
11) How are Dealer of the Year awards determined in regards to dealerships with multiple brands?
The manufacturer selected when the consumer submits a review on DealerRater will be used to determine a Dealer's rating for each brand. For a dealership that sells multiple brands, reviews for each brand are calculated separately. For example, a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram store might win an award for Chrysler, but not for any other brands.
Note that the Regional award is not brand-specific. All reviews the dealer receives are counted when determining the winners for this category.
12) How are Consumer Satisfaction award winners determined in regards to dealerships with multiple brands?
The Consumer Satisfaction Award is not brand specific. A PowerScore is calculated for each dealership listed on DealerRater.com. If a dealership's PowerScore is in the top percentage of scores that are chosen to receive the award, that dealership will receive a Consumer Satisfaction Award.
13) What year are the awards based on?
The Dealer of the Year and Consumer Satisfaction Awards are based on the calendar year before the year of the award. For example, the 2022 award is based on reviews received during the 2021 calendar year.
14) Why didn’t my dealership win Dealer of the Year?
If your dealership did not receive an award, it means that either your dealership did not meet the minimum criteria, or that another dealership within that category had a higher PowerScore for the previous calendar year. Put simply, another dealership had more reviews and/or a higher average score for the year. Because of the factors involved in calculating a PowerScore, it is very difficult to tell in advance which dealership will win a Dealer of the Year award. The calculations for Dealer of the Year are often incredibly close, often down to a thousandth of a decimal point. Additional details on this question can be found here:
15) What can a dealer do to win a Dealer of the Year award?
There is no magical formula for winning a Dealer of the Year award. Consistent positive reviews throughout the calendar year are needed to be in the best position to win. Competition for Dealer of the Year winners can be very close; the difference is sometimes as small as a thousandth of a percentage point. The most important thing is to continually provide your customers with excellent service and have a strategy to generate consistent reviews from these customers. Additional details on this question can be found here: